Sunday, June 29, 2008

Me and LaCochina

When I was a little girl, my parents had a friend named John and he drove the Humpty Dumpty potato chip truck. I remember thinking this was a pretty cool job since I've always been a huge potato chip fan.
I was in Winnipeg about ten years ago and I went into a little cafe in Osborne Village called Common Ground. It was a wierdly, fantastic little place much like something out of a fairy land. Whenever I'd go to the city, I'd drag my friends there. It was run by the Twelve Tribes Community, there was folk music playing and candles lit every table. The place was dark, candlelit and the tables made from hand hewn logs. It was like a little fairy tale place and I absolutely loved going there. The foods were all natural.
About six years ago, the restaurant moved, downsized and they removed my favourite dish from the regular order. I hear that they have since renovated so when I go to Winnipeg this week plan to try it again for lunch.
I came away with three things from my initial experience: Northern Lites candles, Yerba Maté and LaCochina chips. I didn't know what to order that first time in the restaurant and thought I'd try the nacho plate which is still to this day the best nacho plate I've ever eaten. The chips were thin, crispy and the absolute best. Somehow I discovered they were supplied by a Manitoba company. You may have seen them in the grocery stores - they are packaged in a green and orange bag and are called LaCochina. Since then, they are the only tortilla chips I buy.
When I was at "Touch the Farm" I met the LaCochina man. That's right. The man who owns the company that makes LaCochina chips. He is a chicken producer who has the company right on his farm. I told him how much I love his chips. It was kinda like meeting a rock star. I plan to go there and see how he makes the chips and promise that when I do, I'll take my camera, get some photos and write about it.

No comments:

Thoughts about writing and life in rural Manitoba

Add to Technorati Favorites
blogarama - the blog directory