Tuesday, April 1, 2008

I Picked Up a Chick at the Fair

1. Arrive at the Fair at 5:50 a.m.
2. Feeling a bit tired as always on the second day
3. Carry in a cranberry-blueberry bran muffin and coffee from Tim Hortons to stave off a cinnamon bun craving
4. Hoping for a good few hours of writing

Day 2. One thing I really enjoy about the Fair is arriving first thing in the morning. Everything is quiet and nobody is in our area except for Leo and Bob (the dairy guys) and the security personnel. This morning when I came in the heavy horses, Percherons I think, were being led through the empty parking lot by their trainers. All was dark except for the streetlights overhead. I am not a horse person but I could appreciate the beauty of the solitary, peaceful scene. Soon the parking lot will be full of cars and people will be everywhere.

I check our cow. She is chewing her cud and the calf is asleep by her side. Last year I figured out it’s not a good idea to feed her as soon as I get in because if I do, she poops on the floor as soon as we take her out of the pen for her walk to the wash racks. Her name is Sunshine, a heifer that was shown at last fall’s Agribition in Regina and was the Reserve Champion Female at last year’s Winter Fair. Her owner, Andrew Kopeechuk, will be by today to see how she’s doing.

I wave to the dairy guys and then find a quiet spot near the canteen and set up my laptop. I am anxious to work on my novel. The story is set in rural Canada so this is an inspiring atmosphere. So much better than the desk in the hotel room. I can see the miniature horses through the window and hear the sounds of the animals waking up. Trainers are walking the horses by and soon the show cattle will arrive. Sitting here, I am able to write a few scenes and feel myself grow excited about the manuscript. The story is coming together nicely and my characters are as alive to me as the people who walk by and stop to chat.

The parallels are interesting. I am writing about a city girl who gets stuck in a small town. People often ask writers how much of their stories are autobiographical and that is a difficult question to answer. For me, the story and the characters are a mishmash of both real and imagined. The fact I am a transplant gives me an edge, an understanding.

Right around the corner, the cinnamon buns come out of the oven. I can smell them and would be able to resist except Esther Fyk brings by a sample.

A few hours later, I am done writing. Now it’s time to clean out the cow pen and get ready for the day ahead.



People love the baby animals on display. Thru the Farm Gate is pretty interactive, a great opportunity to see animals up close. The Manitoba Chicken Producers have a great display that includes chicks being hatched.



Manitoba Pork has a sow and piglets. This is very popular, especially with the kids.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I too, enjoyed the Fair. For those who don't know, I am Karen's sister and I had the wonderful opportunity to spend the first day at the fair with her "manning" the booth. I loved the baby animals and I loved the friendly people. My visit to Manitoba was a short one, but like always, we had a wonderful time together and I enjoyed watching my sister in her "element". I'm very proud of her and her many accomplishments. P.S WAITING for the next book!! luv Nance

Thoughts about writing and life in rural Manitoba

Add to Technorati Favorites
blogarama - the blog directory