Friday, April 4, 2008

Job Security

1. Arrive at the fair grounds early and get some writing done.
2. Reflect on what a good week it has been
3. Push away thoughts of the "to do" list that's in my head - everything that needs to be done when I get home.
4. Eat a cinnamon bun and a hunk of fudge. Tell myself this is okay because I shared the fudge with Janice.
5. Discover that Janice is also going to start her diet on Monday.

Day 5. Three Directors from the Association I work for came by to check out this year’s booth and after about ten minutes of watching kids run in and out, each of them asked: “You stand here all day?”
I confess that mostly I sit.
“All week?”
I said yes – with a smile. I call this Job Security.

Manning a booth at the Fair all week is something most people don’t want to do. For some reason, I really enjoy it. I think I’ve inherited this trait from my Dad who has always said that life can be boring as hell or a ton of fun depending on your attitude. Dad is a retired bus driver who likes people. We can both sit for hours and watch people, talk to people, silently make fun of the goofballs and daydream. I know my dad would think what I’m doing this week is the perfect job. Both of us really like to talk.

People who come to the Fair are here to have fun and I like being a part of that. I get to talk about the cattle, our industry and the Association I work for. Not everyone wants to talk, some just like to look at the cow/calf pair, watch our video and spend quality time with their children. And that’s okay.


I've always wanted to drive a scooter. So when this cattle producer came by and I asked him about it, he let me take it for a spin. There weren't many people around (they were all watching the "Super Dogs") so I took a drive over to the Dairy booth to show off to Bob. We'd discussed earlier how much fun it would be to have one of these gizmos.

Sherry Baumung, our "go-to girl" at the Fair told me today that she and her husband went for supper one night this week at a local restaurant. They overhead people at the table behind them talking about the Fair and they mentioned my booth! They liked the calving video and were commenting on people’s reactions to seeing a calf being born.

And that makes it all worthwhile.



Tomorrow: The countdown begins

No comments:

Thoughts about writing and life in rural Manitoba

Add to Technorati Favorites
blogarama - the blog directory