Sunday, July 27, 2008

Writer's heaven


This is where I spend most summer mornings.
I get up as early as I can, usually between 4:00 and 5:00 and my day begins by writing from this chair on our deck. We screened the deck in the spring of 2001 and this became the room we use most in the summer time.

The deck faces the east so I am able to watch the sun come up over the bush. A large oak tree in the yard filters the glare, letting in enough light and warmth that by 8:00 a.m. I can take the blanket off my lap. This is an absolutely wonderful place to write.

All is quiet here in the morning except for the twittering of birds and the occasional bawl of a cow or calf at the far end of the pasture. It is really nice when the cows come by, swinging their tales and munching grass. The air is absolutely still until about 9:00 a.m. when the wind starts to pick up.

As the days grow shorter and summer progresses into early fall, I'll spend less time out here. But for now I'll appreciate every day that I can. My creative juices flow freely here and the scenes of my novel are vivid in my mind. They say that connecting with nature is one of the best things a person can do to inspire creativity and I believe this is so.

The book is coming along nicely and hopefully will be done soon.

No comments:

Thoughts about writing and life in rural Manitoba

Add to Technorati Favorites
blogarama - the blog directory