Tuesday, May 13, 2008

I am Pumped


Wallace Stegner was a Pulitzer Prize winning author who spent his younger years in Eastend, Saskatchewan. The Eastend Arts Council has turned his boyhood home into an artist's retreat and I'll be spending a week there to work on my novel. I leave on Thursday and can hardly wait.

I've been to the Stegner House twice before. The first time, I needed to sequester myself in order to get the book on BSE done.

I spent three weeks there and during that time, came up with an idea for a novel while gazing out this window in the upstairs study. I went back the following spring for two weeks and wrote a comprehensive outline and now I'm going back - with plans to finish my novel this year.

"Edge of Nowhere" is the story of a troubled, young woman from Toronto who runs away from home. Her destination is Cortes Island along the B.C. coast, where she plans to become an artist. But fate intervenes and she ends up stuck in a small Saskatchewan town.

No comments:

Thoughts about writing and life in rural Manitoba

Add to Technorati Favorites
blogarama - the blog directory