Saturday, May 3, 2008

Spring has finally arrived

This is the first morning that I awoke and actually believed that spring has finally arrived. The skies are clear and the birds are singing. My plans for the day include getting outside to do a bit of yard and garden clean up. Since we are so close to the lake, spring renewal here is a week or two behind everyone else. The consolation is that in the fall, we usually see a later frost and temperatures are generally warmer than in the nearby towns.

So far we have had no rain. That is good in a way because the pens are drying up and it makes getting in the fields easier. Around the yard, I hope to get things cleaned up (mostly dead leaves), get the flower gardens tilled and get my wildflower mix spread so that the ground is ready when the rains do come. I vow to keep ahead of the weeds this year! People who live in the city have no idea what a job it is to keep weeds out of the flower gardens in the country. Given the size of my flowerbeds and our garden, I pretty much need to pick weeds every other day to keep it clean.

It's going to be a great day. I look forward to sharing the results with you in the weeks to come.

No comments:

Thoughts about writing and life in rural Manitoba

Add to Technorati Favorites
blogarama - the blog directory