Sunday, May 4, 2008

Lifting Weights

1. Wake up at midnight with a shooting pain in my arm.
2. After about an hour, get up and take two aspirin.
3. Get up at 5:00 and check the cows.
4. Make myself some tea
5. Decide I really need to commit to my exercise program

Okay, so I spent most of yesterday outside working in the yard. I raked all the leaves out of the flowerbeds (big job) and burned them (easier than hauling them away). I also pruned a few trees. After that, I syphoned off two carboys of wine, cleaned the jugs and carried the full carboys downstairs. Lots of arm work.

I felt fine until midnight. The shooting pain in my right arm felt like overuse. It wasn't the same as muscle stiffness but more like joint/muscle pain, the tendon in my elbow screaming, "you idiot, why did you do that to me?" A reminder that while I'm not as young as I used to be, if I committed to my exercise program (including light weights) I probably wouldn't run into these nagging injuries when I do occasionally overdo it. Solid evidence that I do need more exercise that includes lifting weights. I did start this past week but now I am committed to carrying on. The problem is: what about today? Do I go out and finish the yard with hopes of beating the rain, or do I wait a few days?

Maybe it wasn't the work at all. Maybe it was the brownie I ate after supper. My niece Kassarah made a batch of the most scrumptious brownies I've ever tasted in my life. Thick, moist and buttery with a heavy layer of chocolate/peanut butter icing on top. Fortunately, Mark ate most of it and if I'm lucky, he'll polish off the rest of that delicious temptation before 3:00 p.m. today. My resolve is good until that time of day then it's all downhill. Especially after supper when I relax with a glass of wine. Wine and chocolate - the best combination in the world.

No comments:

Thoughts about writing and life in rural Manitoba

Add to Technorati Favorites
blogarama - the blog directory